Listed below are the basic cognitive, psychomotor and affective activities that are essential to successful completion of the BSN degree.
|Essential Functions||Description||Examples (this includes but is not limited to these abilities)|
|Auditory||A student must possess auditory ability to monitor sounds in to assess health needs.||* Hear and interpret information a patient is communicating orally.
* Hear auscultate sounds using a stethoscope
* Hear auditory signals from technical equipment
* Hear cries for help
* Communicate over the phone
|Visual Acuity||A student must possess visual ability sufficient for observation and assessment necessary to provide nursing care.||* Discriminate colors for diagnostic purposes
* Assess movement of patients
* See drainage on dressings and drainage on body fluids
* Note fluid levels in collection devices, syringes, and infusion devices
* Read gauges, such as a sphygmomanometer, that monitor patient progress
* See to administer treatments such as intravenous fluids and oxygen observe color changes in patient skin color
* Observe patient behavior, which is necessary in a rehabilitation or psychiatric setting
|Tactile||A student must possess tactile ability sufficient to perform a physical assessment of a patient and to perform procedures necessary for nursing care||* Perform palpation and other functions necessary for a physical examination
* Assess texture, shape, size, temperature, and vibration
* Perform therapeutic functions such as inserting a urinary catheter, changing dressings and giving medications
* Collect specimens necessary for assessment of the patient
|Physical Strength (Gross Motor Function)||A student must have sufficient motor function, neuromuscular strength, and coordination to effectively perform the activities required of a nurse.||* Walk/stand for extended periods and distances over an 8-hour period.
* Transfer patients from a wheelchair to bed, and from bed to stretcher
* Obtain information from patients using palpation, auscultation, and percussion
* Perform CPR
* Move about in patient care environments
* Bend and/or lift to assist clients with activities of daily living and manipulate client equipment.
* Move, push, or pull equipment, beds, stretchers, wheelchairs, etc.
|Fine Motor Coordination||A student must have sufficient fine motor coordination to safely and effectively perform essential nursing functions.||* Manipulate diagnostic instruments to adequately perform all aspects of physical
* Perform treatments and procedures administer intravenous, intramuscular, subcutaneous, topical and oral medication
* Successfully don and remove protective apparel to maintain standard precautions
|Communication||A student must be able to communicate effectively and sensitively with patients, family members, and other members of the health care team. This includes expressive and receptive modes of verbal, nonverbal, and written communication.||* Explain treatment procedures
* Initiate health teaching
* Document nursing assessment, nursing action, and patient/family responses
* Read patient documentation and relevant medical literature
* Give an accurate report of patient information to other health care professionals and members of the health care team
|Social and Behavioral||* A student must possess the interpersonal ability to interact with individuals, families,
and groups from varied social, emotional, cultural, and intellectual backgrounds.
* The student must have the capacity for self-reflection and change.
* A student has the ability to maintain professional demeanor, communication, respect for others at all times.
|* Function safely, effectively, and calmly under stressful situations
* Demonstrates respect, caring and empathy for others
* Develop mature, compassionate, sensitive, and effective relationships with clients
* Complete all responsibilities required in the care of patients/clients
* Remain free from alcohol and/or chemical impairment in classroom and clinical settings at all times.
* Demonstrates moral and ethical behavior
* Demonstrates positive conflict resolution skills
* Receives and responds appropriately to constructive criticism