Office of Student Financial Services

Billing information


At MCLA, we bill by semester. Fall semester bills are generated in early July and due in early August. Spring semester bills are generated in mid-November and due in mid-December. Bills are sent to the student's MCLA email address. It is the responsibility of the student to provide a copy of the email to the payer of their tuition.

Student bills must be satisfied by the due date. Non-payment may result in being dropped from your coursework. Students who are dropped for non-payment would be allowed to re-enroll in courses once their account is deemed satisfied.   

charges and credits

When you receive your bill, you will see a breakdown of all your fees and any credits on your account. Please note the following:

  • All students, regardless of whether they are on-campus or commuting, are charged certain fees;  Tuition, Campus Support Fee, Capital Improvement Fee, Student Activity Fee, Technology Fee, and Wellness Fee. A list with a description of these fees, and others, is available here.
  • The amount of Tuition you are charged is determined by your residency upon admission to MCLA.
  • If you are on-campus, you will see housing and meal plan charges on your bill.
  • If you received your financial aid offer and accepted any portion of it, it should appear on your statement. If your aid does not appear on your statement as a credit, please contact Student Financial Services at 413-662-5219. For federal student loans to appear, you must have accepted them on your financial aid offer. First time borrowers also need to complete both Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note before loans are credited.
  • If you have made any pre-payments on your account or signed over a refund to MCLA, those funds will be reflected as a credit on your account.
  • Attention New Students: If you paid a deposit of $200.00, you will notice that only $100.00 appears as an Admission Deposit on your Fall bill. The remaining $100 will appear as a Dormitory Deposit on your Spring bill. 


If there is a balance due shown at the bottom of your statement, you have several options for payment:  

* Debit/credit card payments have a non-refundable 2.95% service charge, with a minimum fee of $3.00. Cash, personal checks, money orders, and online ACH payments are fee free. 

**Students enrolled in the monthly payment plan are permitted to change one payment due date per semester directly though Nelnet.


The following are less common payment situations, but you may find that one or more of these apply to you. 

OUTSIDE SCHOLARSHIPS - If you are a recipient of any outside scholarships, please forward copies of these letters to Student Financial Services for review. Depending on the information on the letter, Student Financial Services may be able to note the scholarship as an expected payment on your account. Please note that it is the student's responsibility to coordinate that the scholarship organization has all the required documentation needed to disburse the award (e.g. enrollment verification, copy of bill, thank you note).

COLLEGE SAVINGS PLANS & 529 PLANS - If you or a family member have a college savings plan or a 529 plan, you must request a disbursement from the company. Requests should be processed soon after receiving the bill to ensure a timely delivery of funds to MCLA on or before the due date. When requesting the distribution, please ensure that the check has your full legal name and student ID (A#) printed on it.

MASS REHAB/MASS COMMISSION FOR THE BLIND/ACCES-VR - If you are a client of the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission, Massachusetts Commission of the Blind, or New York State's ACCES-VR, you must meet with your counselor to start the process.  When all the documentation is completed on both sides, we are able to coordinate payment with the organization and note it as an expected payment on your account.

EMPLOYER BENEFITS - Some employers offer their employees and/or their dependents certain benefits for going to school. For state or higher education employees, this may include a Massachusetts State Employee Tuition Waiver or a Massachusetts Higher Education Tuition Waiver. For other employers, it may include direct payments on an account. If you or your parent's employer offers these benefits, the process will need to be started with your/their Human Resources Office. It is the responsibility of the student to coordinate the benefits and notify MCLA. 

Additionally, some employers offer reimbursement for paid tuition and fees. If you are seeking reimbursement for what you paid, you can contact Student Financial Services at 413.662.5230 to request a copy of your bill once your balance has been satisfied.

VETERANS BENEFITS -  Veteran benefits are certified by the Registrar and coordinated with Student Financial Services. If you are eligible for any veteran benefits but have questions on how to start this process, please contact Student Financial Services at 413.662.5230 or the Office of Student Records at 413.662.5216. Students receiving chapter 31 or 33 veteran benefits will not be subjected to the following while waiting for VA payments:

  • Preventing enrollment
  • Assessing a late payment fee
  • Requiring alternative or additional sources of funding
  • Denial of any additional information needed for certification


You are expected to return payment due or have payment arrangements made, such as loans or a payment plan, on or before the due date. Students who register for courses at the College do so with the understanding that they are responsible for payment of all charges reflected on their bills. Registered students also understand that certain penalties are applied to accounts that are not settled in full by each semester's due date, such as incurred late fee surcharges, and withheld official academic transcripts. Students may also be dropped for non-payment from their coursework prior to the start of the semester. To re-enroll in coursework, the balance would need to be satisfied, as well as a $75.00 Late Registration Fee charged to the account.

The Student Financial Services Office reserves the right to request payment in advance for coursework if a student has demonstrated an unsatisfactory payment history, or has defaulted on a prior payment arrangement. This includes any default of prior monthly payment plans, and/or repeated collection efforts.

Late Payment Fee - Total payment or payment arrangements must be in place by the due date on the statement or subject to a $75.00 Late Payment Fee(s).

Returned Check/ACH Fee - For each check/ACH payment that is returned by your bank, a $25.00 Returned Check Fee will be added to your account.


If you do not plan to attend MCLA this semester, you must notify the Office of Student Records at 413.662.5389. Non-attendance in classes does not constitute withdrawal, and you will still be responsible for any charges incurred.


This policy applies to students who are fully withdrawing or taking a leave of absence from MCLA. If you withdraw prior to the first day of classes (official opening), you will receive a 100% refund (less any Admissions or Dormitory Deposits). All refunds for withdrawals after the start of school are determined on a pro-rata basis up to the 60% point of the semester.

In addition, students are eligible for a supplemental Tuition Insurance program through GradGuard, which provides up to 100% protection for your investment, should you need to unexpectedly withdraw. Students may opt to enroll online in the Bill + Payment page prior to the first day of classes.


If the payments on a student's account exceeds the charges, the student will be issued a refund. This typically occurs roughly one month after the start of the semester, but some refunds may be issued later depending on the academic program or type of fund. Students will be refunded electronically through BankMobile and must activate their account through them. Read more on student refunds here.

If you are receiving a refund, you may be eligible for a book advance. Book advances can be used at the MCLA Bookstore and are issued in increments of $50.00. Read more about book advances from financial aid here.